This weekend we went to a really fun barbecue with friends, so of course Soph and I offered to make dessert! There were lots and lots of kids so we decided to use our fabulous Frozen chocolate castle which Soph got for Easter… its been waiting in the cupboard for a special occasion! We had so much fun in the kitchen mixing up our blue cakes and creating a fabulous cake tower, Soph’s favorite colour is blue and she’s still obsessed with Frozen so she was in heaven! Everyone loved our creation, it was a huge hit with all the kids and adults alike!
Of course this cake can be made in any colour and with any decoration on the top. If you would like to make our fabulous layer cake, here is our recipe;
For the cake you will need to cream 250g butter with 2 cups of sugar & a tsp of vanilla, add 4 eggs then add 4 cups of self raising flour alternately with 1 & a half cups milk.
Separate batter into 3 bowls, colour & bake in 3 cake tins for 30-40mins in moderate oven.
For the icing cream 250g butter with 3 cups icing mixture, 1 tsp vanilla & 2 tbs milk till white then add colouring. Enjoy!
Today we made this delicious orange and almond cake for our friends birthday celebration! It’s gluten free and so yummy, perfect for morning or afternoon tea. Soph had fun measuring the ingredients and mixing everything together, she’s becoming an expert at cracking the eggs and didn’t even get any shell in the mixture this time!
This cake is incredibly light and fluffy and has so much flavour. It’s really delicious as it is but sometimes we also add a cream cheese icing if we feel like being extra decadent! Here is our yummy recipe;
- 3 oranges
- 6 eggs
- 100g almond meal
- tsp baking powder
- 1 cup castor sugar
- Wash & pierce oranges then cook in microwave for 10mins, discard juice
- When cool peel two oranges, leave skin on 1 orange
- Puree to a pulp in food processor or blender
- Beat eggs & sugar
- Add almond meal & baking powder, then pulp
- Pour into greased & lined 23cm tin & bake for 1hour & 10mins at 160 C degrees
We are back sharing recipes again after a bit of a break staying with family in the Southern Highlands. While we were away we celebrated Sophie’s Grandpa’s birthday and Soph made a yummy strawberry swirl cake with her Uncle Tee Tee to celebrate!
This yummy cake was a big hit with everyone, its so fun & festive as well as delicious! Soph chose strawberry flavour and pink coloured cake with blue icing, however you can really use any colour scheme and flavour you like. Soph had a ball as always making this cake and loved choosing the colour schemes & helping to decorate… she always loves adding the fairy sprinkles at the end! It’s a really quick & easy cake to make too, perfect for any celebration! Here is our recipe, enjoy!
- 1 cup sugar
- 125g butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon strawberry essence (or any flavour of your choice)
- Decorations and food colours of your choice!
- Cream sugar, butter and strawberry essence until smooth
- Add eggs
- Add flour & milk alternatively
- Divide mixture in half & place in separate bowls then add a few drops of your choice of food colouring to one of the bowls
- Alternate spoonfuls of each mixture into the middle of the cake tin- first the plain one, then the coloured on on top till all the mixture is gone
- Bake in mod oven (approx 170* C) for approx 40mins
- Allow to cool before decorating
Decorating the cake
Soph and her Grandpa